Wednesday 24 April 2013

Cecil Beaton

After changing from female to male model, I have been given the chance to reshoot with the original female model in the University studio before my deadline.


After researching the work of Jane Bown a few weeks ago, in regards to my male model and how I was going to edit the photographs of him, I decided to look into another iconic black and white photographer who used subjects and shadows to gain depth into their photographs. Cecil Beaton was a photographer who shot images of subjects such as Queen Elizabeth and Elizabeth Taylor (above). His iconic style makes me want to look into how I photograph my model and the way I use light to create depth within my images.


My original theme was Spring, which was later ditched due to the changing of models and the way which Spring could not be used with a male model as well as I thought. However, now I have this opportunity to continue this idea, I wanted to look at this iconic image of Beaton's which I recognise as being one of his most famous images. The pressed flowers and leaves which have seemingly been suspended in the background of the model represent the idea of Spring, and although the image has been shot in black and white, I feel the colour that was probably there to be brights that are associated with Spring (orange, yellow, blue, lilac!)

No comments:

Post a Comment